1942 De Havilland Tiger Moth
AreaDownload the Map
About the 1942 De Havilland Tiger Moth
Please note the 1942 De Havilland Tiger Moth has returned to its permanent home at the Hangar Flight Museum.
The Tiger Moth DH82C was one of the foremost military training aircraft ever built. Over 9,000 of the planes were manufactured from 1931 to 1945 in de Havilland factories in England, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Based on the popular Gypsy Moth, the Tiger Moth featured staggered, swept-back wings to provide parachute egress from the front cockpit, an inverted engine to aid forward visibility, and strengthened wings and fuselage. De Havilland Aircraft of Canada developed the winterized DH82C with sliding glass canopies and cockpit heating. A principal trainer for Allied forces during the Second World War, over 1,700 Tiger Moths were built in Canada.
After the War many Tiger Moths were sold to civilians who used the versatile biplanes for racing, barnstorming, crop-dusting, film assignments, bush flying and freight hauling. With a choice of landing gear, including wheels, pontoons or skis, the Tiger Moth was readily adapted to the needs of Canadian Pilots.
This aircraft, a DH82C, with Manufacturer’s Serial Number 1547, was built by de Havilland Aircraft of Canada Limited in Downsview, Ontario in early 1942. It served with the Royal Canadian Air Force as a trainer until 1945. The Aero Space Museum Association of Calgary acquired it in 2000 and its restoration was completed by volunteers in 2003. Heritage Park Society gratefully acknowledges the loan of this aircraft from The Aero Space Museum Association.