Join the Heritage Park Team
posted 21 november 2023 / closing date 04 December 2023 / regular full-time
We at Heritage Park Society are excited to announce that we are currently searching for two (2) exceptional Engineer’s Assistants.
Under the direction of the Chief Engineer, the incumbent supports the overall operation of the Heritage Park railway system. Activities will include but not be limited to the overall operation and maintenance of all locomotives, rolling stock, tracks and other equipment coming under the jurisdiction of the Chief Engineer. Also assists in restoration work as directed by the Chief Engineer.
We are excited to welcome you to our team and look forward to your positive impact!
Who Are We?
Heritage Park staff has for nearly 60 years prided itself in representing the communities in which we live and embracing the diverse backgrounds of our guests and colleagues.
At work, we are committed to providing a positive, safe and healthy work environment where we can support one another and work together in harmony.
This environment can only be sustained if we all commit to working together collaboratively, showing respect through our actions and words and being tolerant of one another.
This Is You
- Operates and maintains all Pressure Vessels within the Park;
- Inspects, monitors and maintains tracks;
- Maintains, repairs and restores locomotives and all rolling stock to preserve each piece to its fullest life expectancy;
- Ensures all Railway steam and other steam-driven equipment is maintained and operated safely;
- Assists in organizing and complying with the required railway/locomotive inspections to preserve Heritage Park’s operating licenses and good standing with governing jurisdictions;
- Maintains concise records, logs, and written information on railway maintenance as required by law and in support of sound Park archival practices;
- In the absence of the Chief Engineer, schedules and supervises seasonal railway staff;
- Provides general mechanical repairs for Park facilities, exhibits, vehicles, and equipment;
- Performs general metal work and welding;
- Advises guests helpfully and courteously, and
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Skills
- Must have a 3rd Class Power Engineer Certificate; consideration is given to a 4th class working on 3rd;
- A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a role that demonstrates skilled mechanical aptitude;
- Must possess a working knowledge of historical boiler design, operation and regulations, with a demonstrated ability to maintain mechanical maintenance items;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written);
- Supervisory and good interpersonal/customer service skills are also necessary; and
- Familiarity with NBIC, ASME, AB 534, and CSA-B51 as it pertain to historical and locomotive boilers.
Unique Clothing and Equipment
- Costumes will be supplied by Heritage Park as required. Washing and maintaining costumes in a presentable fashion will be the employee’s responsibility;
- Individuals will be required to supply their own footwear to be approved by the Costume Department Supervisor during Park open season;
- Safety equipment as required, will be supplied by Heritage Park and maintained by the employee.
Special Working Conditions
- Diversity of assignments requires the individual to perform tasks outdoors with exposure to weather and temperature extremes and with a varying degree of physical activity;
- This position will bring the individual in contact with grease, oil, diesel fuel, paint, and various abrasive agents;
- The person in this position will occasionally be required to perform strenuous physical activities under less-than-ideal working conditions; hence, must be in good physical condition.
Hours of Work
Forty hours per week as the standard. Various scheduled work hours, including weekends, statutory holidays, fluctuating hours and overtime as required.
What We Offer
- Flexible work arrangements;
- Comprehensive Benefits package includes Extended Health Care, Dental Benefits, Basic Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, and Employee and Family Assistant Program (EFAP);
- Employer-matched Pension Plan at 5%;
- Generous paid time off, including Vacation days, Sick Time;
- Working in a beautiful park setting;
- Free entrance to the Park, including to our many public special events;
- Employee discounts on food and retail items and free parking.
Why You Will Love Working For Heritage Park
How to Apply
Application→Phone Screening→Interview→Offer → Background Check→Orientation
Heritage Park is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion within our community. We welcome applications from qualified candidates who would contribute to the further diversification of our employees. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for accessibility-related inquiries.
Job Application Form