Moyie First Mate
Heritage Park has an opening for a First Mate on our smaller passenger vessel S.S. Moyie, a sternwheeler which sails the sheltered, non-tidal waters of the Glenmore Reservoir during summer daylight hours.
Join the Heritage Park Team
May 8, 2023 | Full time | seasonal |
Heritage Park has an opening for a First Mate on our smaller passenger vessel S.S. Moyie, a sternwheeler which sails the sheltered, non-tidal waters of the Glenmore Reservoir during summer daylight hours. Under the direction of the Senior Ship Captain, the First Mate ensures scheduled passenger service on the S.S. Moyie operates in a safe and efficient manner, supervises staff, and ensures the ship is operated in accordance with all government regulations and Heritage Park Policies. As with all of the “Moyie” crew, the First Mate is also responsible for providing customer service in a congenial manner to all guests of Heritage Park.
This is a seasonal full-time position running from May 2023 to September 2023
Heritage Park will cover travel expenses and accommodate successful applicants outside of Calgary.
- Classed by Transport Canada as a passenger vessel of more than 60 GRT
- Diesel/hydraulic driven stern paddle wheel propulsion
- Sails for excursion trips on Glenmore Reservoir in Calgary
- Sails during daylight hours only
Duties & Responsibilities
- Navigates the vessel in designated areas
- Provides customer service and information to passengers in a courteous and friendly manner, and deals with any passenger concerns
- Maintains scheduled passenger service
- Assess weather, vessel, and other conditions; suspend service if passenger or vessel safety are at risk
- Ensures the vessel is properly maintained, serviced, and repaired in accordance with Department of Transports standards and regulations, and that the vessel successfully passes inspections
- Assists in the selection of staff and evaluates aspects of their job performance as required
- Responsible for ensuring all pre- and post-season vessel preparations are completed
- Schedules staff for private functions held on the vessel after regular Park hours
- Provides support to the Reservoir Safety Patrol Boat by reporting problem situations and specifying their location
- Other duties as assigned
- Completion of High School
- Suitable Transport Canada certificate of competency as either Mate for the above vessel;
- Marine basic first aid certificate or equivalent
- Holds a First Mate certificate for sheltered water or above
- Three years of job-related experience
- Is well versed and knowledgeable in the marine safety procedures.
- Possession of supervisory skills, the abilities to spot and solve problems
- Excellent judgement and decision making
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Customer Service Standards/Expectations
- As an employee of Heritage Park please keep our service mission in mind
- Be friendly and courteous to Heritage Park’s guests, staff and volunteers:
- Wear your name tag
- Greet with Good Morning or Good Afternoon
- Acknowledge every guest entering or leaving your area
- Make eye contact with guests
- Handle questions and awkward situations with a positive attitude
- Be familiar with Park facilities, services, events.
- Take pride in the Park. Keep it clean, safe & tidy.
- Be punctual for shifts and break.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Have fun and it will show.
Safety and Security Standards/Expectations
- Be familiar with
- Accident injury reporting.
- Incident and near miss reporting
- Location of fire extinguishers and first aid kits.
- Notify your supervisor of hazards and potential hazards.
- Work safely at all times.
Special Clothing and Equipment
- Costumes, and a name tag, will be supplied by Heritage Park as required. The Costume Policy must be adhered to at all times when on duty. Washing and maintaining Costumes in a presentable fashion will be the employees’ responsibility. Individuals will be required to supply their own appropriate footwear, to be approved by the Costume Designer during Park open season periods. Safety equipment as required will be supplied by Heritage Park and maintained by the employee.
Special Working Conditions
The employee must be prepared to work in a variety of weather conditions. A considerable amount of walking, standing, and other strenuous duties are required in order to complete the work assigned.
Hours of Work
- As Scheduled, up to 40hrs.
How to Apply
Please fill out the form below or send your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Job Application Form