Teamster Assistant (Seasonal)
Heritage Park has an opening for Teamster Assistant to assist with all aspects of care and proper handling of horses and livestock.
Join the Heritage Park Team
Posted January 24, 2023 | Seasonal
Heritage Park has an opening for Teamster Assistant. Under the direction of the Agriculture Programming Coordinator, this position assists with all aspects of care and proper handling of assigned horses and livestock. Additionally, under the supervision of a Teamster, the Teamster Assistant drives and cares for Heritage Park horses in a manner which is both safe and enjoyable for guests.
This is a seasonal opportunity from May 2023 to October 2023.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the care and proper handling of all assigned horses, including their cleaning, grooming and exercising;
- Watches for sickness, disease, or injury and assists with appropriate treatment as required;
- Assists with the maintenance and repair, as required, of all assigned equipment, harness, machinery, buildings, fences, pens, corals, and pastures in accordance of prescribed standards, including those of safety and cleanliness;
- Assists with catching and harnessing teams;
- Drives or rides on a daily basis (as experience permits) in order to provide interpretation of these activities to our guests;
- Provides service and information to guests in a friendly and courteous manner;
- Ensures that all relevant equipment and areas are kept tidy;
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma;
- Knowledge of proper care and health procedures combined with horse husbandry experience;
- Previous job-related experience; including driving and riding horses would be an asset;
- Teamster experience is an asset.
- Willingness to develop skills as a teamster;
- Ability to detect illness and provide care for horses;
- Tact and good verbal communication skills in dealing with staff and guests.
Special Clothing and Equipment
- This is a costumed position with costumes(s) to be provided by Heritage Park;
- Appropriate footwear, as designated by the Costume Department at Heritage Park, will be provided by the employee.
Special Working Conditions
- This position involves some amount of physical labour;
- As this is largely an outdoor position, exposure to a variety of weather conditions is certain;
- Working with livestock also implies a degree of unpredictability.
Hours of Work
- Up to 40 hours per week during the peak operating season including weekends;
- Occasional evenings may be required.
How to Apply
Please fill out the form below or send your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Job Application Form