Teamsters drive and care for specified horses at Heritage Park and perform associated duties while ensuring safe transportation for guests.
Join the Heritage Park Team
Posted January 19, 2023 | Seasonal
Heritage Park has an opening for Teamster. Under the direction of the Agriculture Programming Coordinator, this individual drives and cares for specified horses at Heritage Park and performs associated duties while ensuring safe transportation for guests.
This is a seasonal opportunity from May 2023 to October 2023
Duties and Responsibilities
- Harnesses and drives assigned teams in accordance with prescribed standards;
- Makes certain that horses are handled properly and that equipment is maintained in order to ensure guest safety;
- Is responsible for the care and proper handling of all assigned horses, including their cleaning, grooming, feeding and exercising.;
- Watches for sickness, disease or injury and assists with appropriate treatment as required;
- Maintains and repairs, as required, all assigned equipment, harness, machinery, buildings, fences, pens, corrals and pastures in accordance with prescribed standards, including those of safety and cleanliness;
- May assist in farming operation at Heritage Park including plowing, seeding, harvesting and haying and threshing;
- Provides service and information to guests in a friendly and courteous manner;
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma;
- Some post-secondary experience in animal husbandry, or industry related experience is beneficial;
- Advanced experience harnessing and driving teams;
- Previous experience in an agricultural setting working with draft horses or other livestock.
- Demonstrable skills as a teamster and in caring for horses; knowledge of safe operating techniques and how to handle emergency situations;
- Relevant skills in repairing related equipment are preferred;
- Tact and good verbal communication skills, as well as mature judgment and constant attention to safety concerns are essential when interacting with staff and guests.
Special Clothing and Equipment
- This is a costumed position with costumes(s) to be provided by Heritage Park.;
- Appropriate footwear, as designated by the Costume Department at Heritage Park, will be provided by the employee.
Special Working Conditions
- This position involves some amount of physical labour;
- As this is largely an outdoor position, exposure to a variety of weather conditions is certain.;
- Working with livestock also implies a degree of unpredictability.
Hours of Work
- Varied, up to 40 hours per week;
- Includes weekends, statutory holidays, as well as some evening work.
How to Apply
Please fill out the form below or send your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Job Application Form