C.P.R. Rupertsland Car #5
The Rail Yard
About the C.P.R. Rupertsland Car #5
Built by the Candian Pacific Railway in 1902 as a wooden dining car, this coach was initially part of the transcontinental “Imperial Limited” that ran between Montreal and Vancouver. Later it served on the Spokane to POrtland run. After a brief stint as a fifty-seat parlour car on summer excursion trains, it was converted in 1919 for us as a business car in the C.P.R. fleet and renamed Rupertsland.
This car was extensively remodeled in 1927 when it received steel sheathing, full steel underframe and six-wheeled trucks. It is comfortably outfitted with an open platform, observation lounge, sleeping accommodations, toilet facilities, dining room and galley kitchen.
Vice Presidents and General Managers of the Line used their cars as rolling offices and homes away from home. Despite the length of some trips, business never stopped. Secretaries were often taken alongside to assist, and telephone and telegraph connections could be made at every stop.