M.F. & M. Cars #62 & #63
The Rail Yard
About the M.F. & M. Cars #62 & #63
Railways provided a vital link for people travelling between the busy towns, mines and coking ovens of the Crowsnest Pass. The pair of “shorty” wooden railcars is typical of this kind of passenger coach used in local rail service over a century ago. Although their early history is obscure, it is believed that they were built in the eastern United States about 1885 and may have entered service as suburban or commuter coaches.
The M.F. & M. ran several trains daily, linking the town of Fernie to the mines at Coal Creek and Morrisey, with connections to the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Great Northern Railway. Passenger service was free of charge and the M.F. & M. kindly provided a separate coach on workmen’s trains for ladies.